Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First Blog and Mountain Eclectic Cooking


This is my very first attempt at blogging, and I feel a little funny about it. I remember scoffing at some "jaded" English student in college for blogging, but that was eight years ago, so alas, I have changed, as have my opinions about blogging. I now believe that blogging is not just for those Sylvia Plath English major types, but for anyone who wants to share information with friends, family, and people with similar interests. So here is my blog.

Mountain Eclectic. This blog is about cooking, mountain cooking, with a little bit of a flare from other food traditions here and there. I used to claim that my favorite type of food was "southern eclectic" (read here: pecan encrusted fried chicken with sweet potato fries and homemade lemon garlic aioli, or something along those lines--so "southern with a gourmet twist" perhaps). My favorite restaurant, at least in memory, is Tupelo Honey in Asheville. They claim "southern home town cookin' with an uptown twist" and I guess that pretty much describes it. You can check out their website at http://www.tupelohoneycafe.com/

So while in memory the few times I ate at Tupelo Honey remain as amazing culinary experiences in my mind, I've decided that my new favorite type of food (and perhaps has been for years now) is Mountain Eclectic. Sometimes it is just plain mountain cooking, perhaps I should specify the southern and central Appalachian mountains (in case there is someone out there that doesn't know what mountains I am referring to)...soup beans with corn bread (NO sugar), homemade biscuits (only using White Lily Flour...more on this later, as the Knoxville plant is shutting down, and White Lily has been bought out by a Midwestern company. GASP! What shall we southern and mountain cooks do???), bacon, grits (okay, maybe this is more of a southern thing), fried chicken, fried potatoes...you all get the picture. But the eclectic flare comes in when you add "gourmet" or non-traditional ingredients into the mix (literally and figuratively). So the homemade aioli (made from farm fresh eggs and olive oil and lemon juice and garlic) I use for potato salad in place of Duke's Mayonnaise (my mom's choice) may be a little on the "eclectic" side of things, although perhaps not a hundred years ago.

The long and the short (more long rantings about food later):

I will use this blog to post recipes and pictures of some of my mountain eclectic creations in the kitchen, as well as general thoughts about growing/raising your own food, farming, and using local foods. Who knows, I might even muse about connections between food and culture.

Enjoy and please feel free to post back with thoughts, ideas, recipes or suggestions (when things fail especially).

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I'm liking this blog already. Your sister passed on the link. Can't wait to try some of your recipes to bring a little bit of mountain into our urban and suburban lives.