Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Broke-Down-in-West-Virginia Blackberry Cobbler

After a couple of weeks away, I have many adventures in cooking, camping, moving, and music to post here, but I’ll start with this one.

In between music festivals (Clifftop and Galax Fiddlers’ Conventions) my husband’s truck broke down in Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Luckily we were on our friends’ 60 acre farm in a really beautiful area that backs up against the Cranberry Wilderness. It was really a blessing to be there instead of a state park or on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. We were definitely being looked after! So after I was done being upset and pouting (I wanted to get on our way to Galax), I decided to make the best of my time by picking wild blackberries—of which there is an abundance on their land. I spent about an hour picking around a pound and a half of blackberries up and down their road (I'm pictured on their land above), while my husband and another friend who was also visiting (B) went to get a part for the truck. So when I got back to the house, I figured we could all use a treat, and I made a blackberry cobbler. There is nothing special about this recipe, it is really simple, but it goes to show that you can just make do with what you have. And boy was it good.

Blackberry Cobbler

1 ½ pounds blackberries (maybe around 4 cups….wild are best)
1 ½ cup Self Rising Flour
1 ½ cup Sugar
1 ½ cup Milk
1 Stick (half cup) Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Once oven temperature is reached melt butter in a large cast iron skillet or baking pan.

In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar and milk; batter will be slightly lumpy.

Pour mixture on top of melted butter in baking pan. Do not mix butter and mixture together.

Drop blackberries on top of batter

Bake for one hour or until golden brown.

No comments: